Erik ten Hag's position at Man Utd is being questioned by some
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag plans to sign a new striker in the January transfer window to add goals to his misfiring attack, according to reports. The Red Devils are said to have settled on their desired target as they prepare to operate on a restricted budget this winter.
Rasmus Hojlund scored a first-half brace in Thursday’s 4-3 defeat at FC Copenhagen, boosting his United tally to five goals.
But no other of Ten Hag’s forwards have netted more than once this season, contributing to nine defeats in the opening 17 games.
Anthony Martial is an alternative striker option but has mainly proven ineffective off the bench and when handed a rare start this term.
It has left Hojlund shouldering almost the entirety of the goalscoring burden in his maiden year in English football, aged 20.
Ten Hag is looking to address that issue in the new year, though, and has landed on a potential option to add experience and quality to his attacking department.
According to Inter Live, United are exploring the signing of FC Porto striker Mehdi Taremi in January.
Click here to join our Man Utd WhatsApp community to be the first to receive breaking and exclusive Red Devils news.
READ MORE Copenhagen star shares what he told Man Utd’s Bruno Fernandes in fiery moment[QUOTES]
United are claimed to be weighing up a £10million bid for Taremi, which would involve offering the 31-year-old a £3.9m annual salary.
The report adds that Ten Hag believes that he needs another striker to relieve Hojlund of some of the responsibility as United’s first-choice frontman.
And he considers Taremi a good fit, despite his recent struggles for goals at Porto, scoring just three times in 15 appearances this season.
But the Iran international has enjoyed a successful career at Porto, registering 83 goals and 52 assists in 162 appearances. He’s also scored 39 times in 72 Iran caps.
- Support fearless journalism
- Read The Daily Express online, advert free
- Get super-fast page loading
Man Utd ace Bruno Fernandes shows true colours in video after Copenhagen loss[WATCH]
Man Utd star Rasmus Hojlund backed after furious rant at Dalot vs Copenhagen[QUOTES]
What Man Utd need to qualify and other Champions League permutations[NEWS]
Financial Fair Play restrictions are expected to limit United to cut-price deals or loans in January unless Ten Hag can raise funds through player sales.
Jadon Sancho is destined for the exit door after failing to apologise for publically calling out Ten Hag at the start of September. He has been exiled from the United first team since then.
But whether United can recoup a fee for the 23-year-old winger in January remains to be seen. A short loan before a permanent exit next summer is viewed as more realistic.
Taremi represents an attractive option if Porto would be happy to offload him midway through the season. And Ten Hag will have similar strikes in that age range in mind.
Source: Read Full Article