EXCLUSIVE: Deontay Wilder reveals Anthony Joshua turned down £40MILLION to fight him… but points the finger at former two-time world champion’s Matchroom promoters
- The pair will fight different opponents in December’s ‘Day of Reckoning’ card
- The Briton was accused of not wanting ‘the smoke’ by old foe Jarrell Miller
- Joshua and Wilder fight on same night – but not each other! Listen to The Hook
Deontay Wilder has accused Anthony Joshua of turning down a $50million (£40m) offer to fight him.
Former heavyweight champion Wilder is due to fight on the same December 23 card in Saudi Arabia as Joshua but not against one another as had been hoped. Briton Joshua will fight Otto Wallin and Wilder will take on Joseph Parker.
Asked by Mail Sport why he is not fighting Joshua next, Wilder said: ‘He asked for $50million and we provided that for him and he did not take it.
‘And the only way you can disregard that is to make a mockery of it, try to make a joke of it, try to make it seem to the public that it’s not real.’
Wilder, however, does not solely blame Joshua for the fight not being made yet. Rather he pointed the finger at Joshua’s promoters Matchroom. ‘It’s a deflection,’ he said.
Anthony Joshua (left) has been accused by Deontay Wilder of turning down $50m to fight him
The Bronze Bomber (left) will instead go toe-to-toe with Joseph Parker in Riyadh in December
‘It’s an “oh s*** moment”. They came up with $50m. That’s why they don’t have Joshua speaking a lot on his own behalf and if he does speak he always slips up and says things that are not appealing to his people. And they have to play clean up.
‘It’s his management that have held him back from fighting me because, you know, he’s a fighter. It’s been over six years (waiting for the fight to be made). But there comes a point in time we’re you’re like, “Forget it”.
‘Many times he wanted to fight, he wanted to accept it but his handlers didn’t want it because Joshua is the money-maker for the company. And if he goes down, so does the business.’
Wilder’s gripes aside, there are still hopes that he and Joshua could face off next year if both come through their December fights unscathed.
Source: Read Full Article