Cristiano Ronaldo’s first goal on Man Utd return in pictures
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United owner Avram Glazer was in attendance as Cristiano Ronaldo blitzed Newcastle in their Premier League clash on Saturday. The Portugal international scored twice on the day, with Bruno Fernandes and Jesse Lingard also on target. And it means they now have three wins from a possible four as they look to win the Premier League title.
This wasn’t Manchester United at their vintage, swashbuckling best.
But that won’t bother Solskjaer, or Ronaldo, or anybody else associated with the club.
Ronaldo predictably stole the show on his second debut, with the Portugal international notching twice.
That was before Fernandes and Lingard then got in on the act, with the duo netting to ensure they leave the match with all three points to their name.
Watching all this unfold was United co-owner Glazer.
He was seen celebrating Ronaldo’s goals with gusto in a rare trip to the Theatre of Dreams, something he hasn’t done too many times in recent years.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
And fans have vented their fury at the controversial owner for being there, even if it does suggest he cares.
United Peoples TV, a fan page boasting over 30k followers, tweeted: “Of course he is, the bloodsucking leach wouldn’t miss this occasion.”
Another United fan remarked: “Hell has officially frozen over.”
“Can’t stand Avram Glazer,” said a third fan.
And a fourth said: “Avram Glazer is only there because the focus of the football world is on OT. No other reason.”
Man Utd set Kane price by Tottenham chief Levy ‘convinced’
Arsenal make Arteta sack decision after Man City defeat
Keita agent calls out Liverpool boss Klopp
Glazer and his brother, Joel, ensured Ronaldo return to United for a second time.
And it looks like the veteran will repay their faith, having now opened his account for the club.
Before the match, meanwhile, former United star Rio Ferdinand backed Ronaldo to score between 25 and 30 goals this season.
“There’s good players all over the pitch, players can come in during certain games and do jobs,” he said.
“That’s what you want, especially in the back four.
“(Victor) Lindelof can come in for a game here or there, I’d be more than ok with that.
“(Diogo) Dalot’s staying at right-back, he had a good season with AC Milan. (Alex) Telles can come in for (Luke) Shaw, you’ve got back-ups everywhere.
“We’ve definitely got the personnel to challenge on all fronts and they’ve got the squad depth now.
“They’ve added one world class player (in Ronaldo) and another potentially world class player (in Sancho).
“They certainly have a better opportunity to challenge for the Champions League than they have done in recent years.”
Ronaldo himself, meanwhile, has insisted he’s back at United to win trophies – rather than for a vacation.
“This is why I am here. I am not here for a vacation,” he told MUTV earlier this week.
“As I told you, before was good, winning important things and I wore the shirt before many years ago, but I am here to win again.
“I am capable, me and my team-mates. I am ready to go, I am ready to go. It is a good chance for me, for the supporters, for the club, to get one step ahead.
“I am ready and I think I will be a huge thing in the next three or four years.”
Source: Read Full Article