Trippier to travel for Newcastle medical and £12m signing will be highest earner

Kieran Trippier is expected to arrive in Newcastle on Wednesday after a £12million transfer was agreed with Atletico Madrid.

Trippier is poised to become the first signing of the new era at Newcastle United, which is being bankrolled by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

The 31-year-old England international has made 83 appearances for Atletico Madrid and helped them win La Liga last season.

The right-back, who joined the Spanish side in a £20m transfer from Tottenham in 2019, will cost the Magpies an initial fee of £12m, plus add-ons which are worth around £3m.

According to theDaily Mail, once he has completed his medical, he will become the club’s highest earner, on over £100,000 per week.

Trippier is keen to move back to the Premier League and was the subject of interest from Manchester United over the summer.

He wants to be closer to his family, who are based in the Manchester area, and is looking forward to working with manager Eddie Howe again.

Howe signed Trippier for Burnley from Manchester City in January 2012 after an impressive loan spell at Turf Moor.

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone wanted to keep hold of Trippier, but admitted on the weekend that he may not be able to.

HAVE YOUR SAY! Will Newcastle's January business see them avoid relegation from the Premier League this season? Comment below.

"We want him to stay, but you can’t force anyone to stay. An extraordinary player,” Simeone said after a 2-0 win over Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.

“He is an extraordinary footballer that has given us a lot. But as I have said, it depends on him. We hope that Trippier can stay but I don’t know if you can’t hold anyone back in life.”

Trippier will become the first signing of the Saudi Arabia-backed ownership group, who took over from Sports Direct magnate Mike Ashley on October 7.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

He is unlikely to be the only one in the January transfer window, however, with the club desperate to bolster their ranks to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The Magpies are currently in 19th place, two points adrift of 17th-placed Watford, having won just one of their 19 league games so far.

Defence is a priority area to strengthen for Howe, whose side have conceded 42 goals and kept just one clean sheet all season.

Newcastle are understood to want two centre-backs, as well as a left-back, before the window closes at 11pm on January 31.

Source: Read Full Article