Transfer update: Latest on Man Utd, Dybala and Jordan
Tottenham have shelved plans to secure the long-term futures of Harry Kane and Son Heung-min given the financial impact of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The pair have been unstoppable in the Premier League this season, establishing themselves as arguably the most prolific duo in the division’s recent history.
Kane and Son have combined to score on 13 occasions since the start of the campaign, with the latter’s goal against Leeds United on Saturday equalling a long-standing Premier League record previously held by former Blackburn Rovers pair Chris Sutton and Alan Shearer.
The South Korea international’s current deal is set to expire in the summer of 2023, while England skipper Kane is tied down until at least the following year.
Although their futures at the club are far from uncertain, Spurs are understood to be keen on extending their contracts even further.
However, the club’s hierarchy are reluctant to begin negotiations while the pandemic continues to wreak havoc in the world of football, according to the Evening Standard.
It is claimed that the north London side’s financial situation has deteriorated significantly over the last year, with manager Jose Mourinho admitting in December that it could be difficult to tie down star players as a result.
JUST IN: Mauricio Pochettino ‘contacts Dele Alli about PSG transfer’
“How can you sign a new contract with a player? You don’t know what is going to happen next season,” said the charismatic Portuguese boss, referring to speculation surrounding a new deal for Son.
“You don’t know if you can offer the player a better contract than they have now. It’s a very strange moment.
“I just trust Sonny and Daniel Levy. I know that both want him to stay, if possible, for life, if possible until the end of the career.
“I see Sonny signing a new contract here, but…I don’t press for something to happen now because probably it’s not the right moment.”
Meanwhile, Kane has been at the centre of recent transfer speculation regarding a shock big-money move to Manchester City.
Reports have claimed that City could launch a £90million bid for his services this month or in the summer, which has alerted Spurs to the possibility of extending his stay at the club.
The 27-year-old, who is an academy product, hinted last year that he could seek a move away in search of silverware if Spurs fail to end their trophy drought before too long.
“I love Spurs, I would always love Spurs,” he told Sky Sports during an Instagram interview in March.
“[But] I have always said that if I don’t feel we are progressing as a team or going in the right direction, I am not someone to stay there for the sake of it.”
Source: Read Full Article