Don’t wait 30 years – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!
Callum Wilson has joined Newcastle from Bournemouth in a deal worth £20m ahead of the new Premier League season.
After signing the four-year deal and passing his medical, 28-year-old Wilson promised goals at St James' Park.
He said: "From the minute I knew that Newcastle were interested, it was definitely something that appealed to me.
"It's a massive club with great history. Along the years, they've had great strikers so if I can emulate half of what they've done, I'd like to attempt that.
"I believe in my ability as a player. As a striker I think it's important to set yourself goals long term and short term, and I'm hoping to achieve them.
"With the players around me, I believe we can get the goals we need as team and I want to help contribute to that."
The England international chose to join Steve Bruce's side after a bid from Aston Villa of around £20m as well was accepted by Bournemouth last week.
Wilson scored eight top-flight goals last season to bring his overall tally in the top flight to 41 in 126 outings.
And he always looked certain to leave the Cherries following their relegation to the Championship and subsequent departure of Eddie Howe.
Newcastle finished 13th in the Premier League last season with 11 wins from their 38 fixtures, but only managed to score 38 goals while conceding 58.
Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!
Want to be on the ball with Jadon Sancho to Manchester United updates? Or perhaps you're a Chelsea fan wondering who on earth could join next?
Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
The Magpies wanted to bring in another striker this summer following a difficult season for record-signing Joelinton, who could only manage two league goals following his move from Hoffenheim.
And they could yet reunite Wilson with Ryan Fraser, who may also join this week on a free transfer.
On the signing of Wilson, Bruce said: "Callum is somebody I’ve admired for a long time and I’m delighted to get him.
"He has done fantastically well at Bournemouth and was deservedly playing centre forward for England less than two years ago.
"The club has worked ever so hard to get Callum here and we have beaten off competition from a number of clubs.
"I’m grateful the club has made it happen. Lee Charnley and those behind the scenes deserve a lot of credit."
Wilson's first game could come on Saturday away to West Ham in Newcastle's Premier League opener, and the striker has a solid goalscoring record against the London club.
- Newcastle United FC
- Bournemouth FC
- Transfer news
- Steve Bruce
- Premier League
Source: Read Full Article