Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia has reportedly made a decision on five players ahead of the January transfer window. Boss Frank Lampard has a surplus of players after Chelsea’s summer spending spree, and the Premier League club are ready to listen to offers for some of the squad’s misfits.
Chief among those is Kepa Arrizabalaga, who Lampard identified as a problem last season in his first campaign at the helm.
After making a series of errors the goalkeeper was dropped in favour of Willy Caballero for two periods last term, including the FA Cup semi-final and final.
When Chelsea signed Edouard Mendy from Rennes in the summer it was ostensibly to provide competition for Kepa and help the Spain keeper up his game.
However, Mendy has quickly established himself as Chelsea’s No1 and has kept clean sheets in all but one of his seven Premier League and Champions League matches.
JUST IN: What Jude Bellingham said about Man Utd transfer amid Chelsea talk
With Cabellero still at Stamford Bridge as back-up, a January loan move is the most likely option for Kepa, according to Eurosport.
This would temporarily get around the problem of offloading the 26-year-old, who cost Chelsea a world-record £72m in 2018 and still has five years to run on his contract.
Left-back Emerson Palmieri is another player who will be allowed to leave if a buyer can be found, Eurosport reports.
Emerson lost his place to Marcos Alonso last season and was shunted further down the pecking order by the £50m summer signing of Ben Chilwell.
He was linked with Juventus and Inter Milan during the summer but a move never came to fruition, and he is yet to line up in the Premier League this season – although he has played in the Champions League and Carabao Cup.
Chelsea eye Jude Bellingham transfer as Marina Granovskaia wants move [TRANSFERS]
Chelsea boss Frank Lampard issued Roman Abramovich message by Conte [NEWS]
Chelsea could receive transfer windfall as PSG urged to break the bank [RUMOURS]
One factor potentially standing in the way of a move for Emerson is Alonso’s row with Lampard earlier this season.
Alonso hasn’t played for Chelsea since a bust-up with the manager after the 3-3 draw at West Brom in September – although he was on the bench for this month’s 3-0 win over Rennes.
With both Alonso and Emerson facing uncertain futures, it will be interesting to see who gets the nod at left-back if Chilwell doesn’t recover from his back injury in time for Saturday’s visit to Newcastle.
Antonio Rudiger is one of five centre-backs at Chelsea following the summer arrival of Thiago Silva, and he has not yet played a minute of Premier League action this season – although he did start against Krasnodar in the Champions League.
The Germany defender wanted to leave in the summer and that is reportedly still the case. Roma are said to be interested, while Rudiger was also linked with Tottenham and West Ham in the summer.
Jorginho is competing with N’Golo Kante and Mateo Kovacic for a place in Chelsea’s midfield, and was linked with potential moves over the summer including Juventus.
PREMIER LEAGUE ON TV: Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
Despite this, the 26-year-old has still been a regular starter for Chelsea in both the Premier League and Champions League this season.
However, he has been a substitute for the last two league games and has also lost his role as the club’s penalty taker to summer signing Timo Werner.
Jorginho is another who could be set to leave in January, with the Brazil-born Italy international is said to have options on the table to return to Serie A, where he previously played for Napoli and Verona.
The fifth player Chelsea are reportedly willing to offload is Olivier Giroud.
There was talk of a move to Inter Milan for the striker last season when he was in the final year of his contract at Chelsea. But Giroud signed a new deal, ending speculation about his future for the time being.
However, he has had just 60 minutes of action in the Premier League and Champions League this season, and it is anticipated that a reunion with former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte at the San Siro will finally happen.
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article