Man Utd board ’remain focused’ on Glazers plan with Mauricio Pochettino on summer ‘list’

Who will get the Manchester United job?

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Manchester United’s board remain determined to appoint an interim manager until the end of the season before chasing Mauricio Pochettino on a permanent basis in the summer, according to reports. The Paris Saint-Germain boss has been strongly linked with the vacancy at Old Trafford in recent weeks following the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who was given his marching orders on Sunday.

The 48-year-old left his position at United in the wake of their embarrassing 4-1 defeat at the hands of Watford on Saturday afternoon.

The writing had been on the wall for some time before Solskjaer’s departure was confirmed, with the Red Devils winning just two of his last 11 matches in charge.

A number of high-profile names, including the likes of Zinedine Zidane and Erik ten Hag, have since been linked with the job but Pochettino looks to have emerged as the early favourite.

The former Tottenham boss is reportedly frustrated over his role at PSG, who are employing him strictly on a head coach basis with sporting director Leonardo in control of the club’s wider footballing affairs.

Pochettino’s family have also remained in London since he took over in Paris earlier this year, suggesting that a move back to the Premier League could soon be a real possibility.

JUST IN: Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes slammed for antics in Solskjaer sacking

It has recently been claimed that United have accelerated talks with Pochettino’s camp over the possibility of bringing him to Manchester immediately rather than waiting until the end of the season.

However, it seems as though the Red Devils could be poised to follow the Glazers’ original plan after all.

Club chiefs ‘remain focused’ on landing an interim boss in order to see out the rest of the current campaign before launching a move for Pochettino next year, according to Jonathan Shrager.

It is said that Pochettino is the Glazers’ priority target to succeed Solskjaer on a permanent basis, but an immediate switch is not being lined up at present.

Meanwhile, it remains to be seen which direction United will go in as they look to appoint a temporary solution to steady the ship.

Michael Carrick has been placed in charge ahead of this evening’s Champions League clash with Villarreal and took his first training session on Monday.

He formed part of Solskjaer’s coaching team and is expected to remain at the club following the appointment of a permanent manager.

Carrick paid tribute to the Norwegian boss in his first press conference, revealing that he was hurt by the news of the former United manager’s departure.

FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE

“Knowing the values he has and how he treats people, to see Ole, unfortunately, lose his job was tough for me,” he said.

“It was tough for a lot of people at the club, you could tell by the emotion around the place what Ole means to everyone.

“We understand, and Ole understands, results in this business is everything. As much as you build the foundations and the environment and the culture, sometimes you don’t always get what you deserve.

“It’s been an absolute pleasure working within him. A sad day initially for me but I wish Ole all the best, but on the flip side football is football and it’s business as usual today.

“It’s a privilege for me to sit in this position. I understand the responsibility that comes with that.”

Source: Read Full Article