ITV admit Soccer aid gaffe as channel announces wrong donation total by over £2m

ITV have admitted they misrepresented the Soccer Aid charity total over the weekend – by over £2m.

The channel have apologised for the mistake, which they blamed on an 'administrative error' after Sunday's charity match.

During the encounter, the Rest of the World side beat England's XI on penalties – with the game played behind closed doors.

On air by hosts Dermot O'Leary and Kirsty Gallacher announced that a total of £11.5million had been raised by those watching at home who had donated.

But the broadcaster have now released a statement confirming the final total was actually only £9.3million – a figure which remains a record-breaking total for the annual event.

An ITV spokesman said: "Last Sunday's Soccer Aid event was watched by millions on ITV whose donations contributed to a record fundraising total which will help Unicef provide a better start in life for young people in need across the world.

"Regrettably, due to an administrative error within ITV, the total figure raised of £11.5 million announced on air by ITV at the end of Sunday night's Soccer Aid for Unicef was incorrect.

"The total amount of money raised by the end of the show was £9.3 million."

Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!

Want to be on the ball with Jadon Sancho to Manchester United updates? Or perhaps you're a Chelsea fan wondering who on earth could join next?

Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

The actual total was still the largest amount of money raised by Soccer Aid, ITV said, beating the £6.7 million raised in 2019.

The broadcaster added: "ITV would like to apologise fully for this error, which should not detract from the commitment made by all those involved, including Unicef, the players, coaching staff, production and all supporting partners, as well as the huge generosity of the public, who we would like to thank again for making the event such a success."

All donation platforms will remain open until Tuesday October 6, ITV said, and it will "continue to promote the event on air and online to deliver the highest possible final total".

Source: Read Full Article