Clash between Nice and Marseille to be replayed on October 27

Ligue 1 clash between Nice and Marseille to be replayed on October 27 after initial game was abandoned due to crowd trouble which saw Nice fans storm the pitch to confront Dimitri Payet

  • The Ligue 1 fixture between Nice and Marseille will now take place on October 27
  • Initial game was abandoned after Nice supporters stormed onto the pitch 
  • Marseille star Dimitri Payet was hit by a water bottle thrown by supporters
  • Payet responded by throwing a bottle back at fans, who then went onto the pitch 
  • Following the incident Nice were docked two points, one of which is suspended 

The league clash between Nice and Marseille which was abandoned last month due to crowd trouble will be replayed on October 27, France’s Ligue 1 said on Monday.

The match was abandoned in the 75th minute when Nice supporters threw water bottles as Marseille were about to take a corner.

Visiting forward Dimitri Payet hurled a bottle back at them, leading to a full-scale brawl as fans rushed on to the field.

The Ligue 1 clash between Nice and Marseille is set to be replayed on October 27 

The initial fixture was been abandoned after violent clashes between fans and players

Former West Ham player Dimitri Payet was struck by a bottle thrown by a Nice supporter

The match is set to be played at a neutral location and Ligue 1 said the venue will be determined at a later date.

Nice were docked two points, one of which is suspended, and the French professional league (LFP) had ordered the club to play their next home game behind closed doors, pending the results of the probe.

Marseille defender Alvaro Gonzalez was banned for two games for his role in the fracas. Payet was handed a suspended one-match ban while the club’s physio Pablo Fernandez was given a nine-month touchline suspension.

An irate Marseille boss Jorge Sampaoli (centre) confronts opposition players during the chaos

Marseille player Payet shows his injuries after being struck in the back by a bottle


Marseille players Luan Peres (left) and Matteo Guendouzi (right)  show the damage seemingly caused by fans

Marseille defender Alvaro Gonzalez was banned for two games for his role in the fracas




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article