‘Unacceptable language’: Wallaroos coach duo resign after Super W comments

Rugby Australia has parted ways with Wallaroos head coach Dwayne Nestor and assistant Matt Tink after an incident in Coffs Harbour relating to “unacceptable language”, which emerged hours after the Super W final.

In a statement on Saturday evening, RA said two national coaches had been immediately stood down after audio emerged of the pair criticising players and referees.

Dwayne Nestor had been Wallaroos coach since 2018.Credit:Rugby Australia

A Super W game was recorded for analysis and then uploaded to a portal. Coaches were overheard on the recordings making comments. That commentary was audible when players and staff reviewed the game.

Audio on the files is usually deleted but sources with knowledge of the situation say that did not occur this time.

“It is alleged that the coaches used unacceptable language when describing match officials, refereeing decisions and general play in an audio recording of the game which was then uploaded to the team’s analysis portal,” an RA statement read.

“Rugby Australia acknowledges that some individuals have taken offence to the language used and Rugby Australia would like to apologise to those individuals for that.

Action from the Super W clash between NSW and Queensland on Saturday.Credit:Getty

“Rugby Australia takes all matters relating to the off-field behaviour of our staff and contractors very seriously and all employees and contractors are required to act in accordance with the terms of their contracts, including adherence to the code of conduct and the core values of the game.

“Support is available to all Super W players via Benestar throughout the year, as provided by Rugby Australia.”

It is unclear when the incident occurred but both coaches tendered their resignations and won’t continue with the Wallaroos. They left the Super W competition base in Coffs Harbour and returned home before the Waratahs defeated Queensland in Saturday’s final.

Nestor has been head coach of the Wallaroos since 2018, while Tink has been working as the team’s forwards coach.

The pair’s names were removed from the Wallaroos’ coaching staff page online on Saturday evening.

Rugby Australia chief executive Andy Marinos said: “After we heard about the incident, we made swift and decisive action in standing down both individuals immediately, who have since resigned.

“As an organisation, we do not stand for such behaviour. We have a zero-tolerance approach, and it has no place in our game at any level.

“We will now begin our recruitment for these roles in what is a very important year for our Wallaroos.”

The Wallaroos were supposed to compete at a World Cup this year but the tournament was postponed until 2022.

Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Most Viewed in Sport

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article