The San Francisco 49ers have added an intriguing talent to their ailing running back room.
The Niners are signing preseason standout Jacques Patrick off the Bengals practice squad, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday.
Patrick appeared in all three preseason games for the Bengals, compiling totals of 31 carries, 156 yards and a touchdown. He displayed exceptional speed and an ability to make plays out of the backfield, traits that could immediately make him an asset for a team in need of playmakers at the position.
Prior to joining Cincinnati last April, Patrick shined with the XFL’s Tampa Bay Vipers in 2019, recording 60 carries for 254 yards and two scores in five games played. He spent the 2020 season on the Bengals’ practice squad.
With JaMycal Hasty (ankle) and rookies Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) and Trey Sermon (concussion) all on the mend, Patrick has a chance to ascend to lead back status in San Fran as soon as Week 3.
Practice squad back Kerryon Johnson and reserve Trenton Cannon, both of whom were recently signed, are the only other listed RBs the team currently has under contract.
- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is dealing with a left pec injury and linebacker Alex Highsmith is dealing with a groin injury. Tomlin also said defensive end Tyson Alualu, who is on injured reserve, underwent ankle surgery on Monday. Tomlin did not have significant updates on the statuses of T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith, Joe Haden and Devin Bush. All four defenders are dealing with groin injuries.
- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he’s “hopeful” receiver Amari Cooper (ribs) will play in Week 3 against the Eagles. Cooper sustained bruised ribs against the Chargers on Sunday.
- The Cleveland Browns announced that wide receiver Jarvis Landry had been placed on injured reserve to to an MCL injury.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers brought free-agent pass rusher Taco Charlton in for a physical, NFL Network’s Aditi Kinkhabwala reported, per a source familiar with the situation. If all goes well, the Steelers will sign Charlton to their practice squad.
- Former Raiders cornerback Nevin Lawson is visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars today, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Lawson was released on Monday.
- The Cleveland Browns signed defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo to the active roster from the practice squad.
Source: Read Full Article