Amateur rider Rob James will front an Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB) hearing on Wednesday over his 2016 actions when mounting a dead horse.
“Our investigation into a video circulating on social media last week has concluded and a referral hearing will take place on Wednesday,” The IHRB said in a statement on Tuesday.
“The IHRB will not be commenting further.”
James confirmed his identity in the video last week and issued an apology over for what he described was an “inappropriate and disrespectful” act.
“I would just like to apologise for my actions which were wholly inappropriate and disrespectful,” James told the Irish Field newspaper.
“I sincerely apologise to the owners of the mare, the staff who cared for her, the horseracing industry, and all followers of horse racing for my actions.
“To try defending my stupidity at the time would add further insult and hurt to the many loyal people that have supported me during my career.
“I am heartbroken by the damage I have caused and will do my best to try and make amends to those hurt by my conduct.”
A video of the incident circulated on social media in the days following the highly publicised image of UK trainer Gordon Elliott sitting on a deceased horse which died of a heart aneurysm on his gallops in 2019.
Elliot was issued with a 12-month suspension, the last six months of his punishment suspended, over his image last week.
Last year James partnered the Elliott-trained Milan Native to win the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Amateur Riders‘ Handicap Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.
Originally published asJockey to front inquiry after admitting to mounting dead horse
Source: Read Full Article