Manny Pacquiao has revealed he is closing in on a rematch with Floyd Mayweather – and could then retire from the ring.
The eight-division world champion will defend his current world title against Adrien Broner in Las Vegas on January 19 before a potential second clash with Mayweather in May.
Mayweather himself will come out of retirement again to take on Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in Tokyo on New Year’s Eve.
And Pacquiao’s acceptance that his career is almost at an end will be a blow to Amir Khan who harbours hopes of facing his former sparring partner.
"I will have a couple more fights left in boxing," Pacquiao told Mirror Sport.
"First I am fighting Broner and after that there is a big possibility of the Mayweather fight.
"He is coming back and we are talking about a rematch but we have to deal with these fights first.
"We met in Japan and he said he wanted to have a rematch; not this time but maybe after the January fight.
"I told him I have the belt and that I am the champion."
Khan’s promoter Eddie Hearn held talks with Pacquiao’s team but was beaten to the punch by advisor Al Haymon.
He offered a better deal for the eight-division world champion to face Broner, leaving Khan sidelined.
He could instead face fellow Brit Kell Brook who yesterday confirmed he will take on Michael Zerafa in Sheffield on December 8.
Pacquiao lost a one-sided decision to Mayweather in 2015 but later complained he had suffered a shoulder injury before the fight.
And he admitted he cannot retire without laying those ghosts to rest.
"It will be different this time as there will be no excuses," he added.
Who would win a rematch between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao?
1000+ VOTES SO FAR
Source: Read Full Article