Joshua vs Fury fight ‘could be off’ as Arum says deal "dead in the water"

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury’s heavyweight mega-fight is “dead in the water” this summer, according to the Gypsy King’s promoter Bob Arum.

Joshua and Fury agreed a two-fight deal back in March, with the site deal and date all that’s left to finalise before their eagerly-awaited showdown is official.

Eddie Hearn, Joshua’s longtime promoter, insists confirmation of a summer bout in Saudi Arabia is imminent and could finally come this weekend.

However, Arum has poured cold water on the chance of an undisputed heavyweight battle going ahead this summer, instead suggesting both fighters need to turn their immediate attention elsewhere.

  • Daily Star Football email – sign-up for all the latest transfer news and gossip

“It will take months for the Saudis to do their due diligence on such a huge deal,” Fury’s US promoter told The Telegraph.

“It is not just a site fee, there are ancillary demands from the Saudis stretching into the broadcast deals and other things, it could take months for it all to play out. It could even take until 2022 the way it looks right now.

“The fight in July or August is dead in the water as far as we are concerned. The two fighters need to go and have other fights this summer while the negotiations for that fight in the Middle East conclude.

“It is absurd what Hearn is saying that it is a done deal. If we had just done a site deal without all the other complications that have arisen, we would have a fight by now.

“Tyson Fury is fuming about it and is refusing to keep waiting.”

Top trending sport stories right now

  • Ebanie Bridges' gruesome eye injury
  • McGregor's net worth amid Man Utd offer
  • Ben Askren's spat before Jake Paul KO
  • Inside Lewis Hamilton's weight problems
  • But Hearn remains adamant that Joshua and Fury’s mega-fight is close to completion, telling Sky Sports: “I saw the comments last night from Bob Arum. I messaged him last night and said, 'Is there something you want to tell me?'

    “We last had communication on Friday of last week and Thursday. He said in the interview, we haven't spoken for two weeks, yet five days ago he was telling the world it was a done deal.

    “I think he's trying to put pressure on. We're a couple of days later than expected. The situation is still the same.

    “We have an offer in writing from a site, the same site that we've dealt with before. The same people we've dealt with before. We know all about them. This is a done deal from that site.”

    READ MORE:Tyson Fury vows to “quit in his corner” in fight with "s***house dosser" Anthony Joshua

    READ MORE:Tyson Fury's four wildest 'promises' he's made after vowing to 'quit' Anthony Joshua fight

    Source: Read Full Article