EXCLUSIVE: Floyd Mayweather WILL fight Conor McGregor again next year, the boxing legend confirms… with a decision on whether it’s an exhibition or a professional boxing rematch ‘the only detail to be worked out’
- Mayweather revealed the details surrounding his 2023 rematch with McGregor
- The 45-year-old boxing icon has said that he will face the Irishman next year
- However, Mayweather has said they are still discussing the terms of the fight
- Mayweather wants to make it an exhibition bout but said it could be professional
Floyd Mayweather has confirmed a 2023 rematch with Conor McGregor is in the pipeline and said that the highly-anticipated rematch could be a professional fight.
It has been nearly five years since Mayweather taught the UFC superstar a boxing lesson, securing a tenth round TKO victory in Las Vegas back in August 2017.
Mayweather has now revealed that he is in final negotiations with McGregor over the terms of their 2023 rematch and revealed it could be a professional fight.
Floyd Mayweather could return to the ring in a professional capacity to face McGregor again
Conor McGregor and Mayweather went head-to-head in a boxing match back in 2017
Speaking exclusively to Sportsmail, Mayweather discussed his plans for the rest of the year and revealed he could be fighting McGregor in a professional bout in 2023.
Mayweather said: ‘I want to go out there this weekend and have fun [against Mikuru Asakura]. Then I have another exhibition Dubai in November and me and Conor McGregor in 2023.
‘We don’t know if it’s going to be an exhibition or a real fight. But there’s been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition.’
When asked why he would prefer an exhibition, Mayweather said: ‘I am not into fights where I am going to take any real punishment.
Mayweather dominated McGregor and took a tenth round TKO victory against the UFC star
‘So, guys like Conor McGregor and guys that don’t really hit hard such as YouTubers or UFC guys, I don’t really mind colliding with those kinds of individuals but nothing where I am going to put myself in a position where I am going to harm myself or hurt myself.’
Mayweather’s clash with the Notorious proved to be his last professional fight, taking his record to 50 wins and zero losses or draws.
Mayweather – who insists he wouldn’t change a single thing about his career – reportedly earned around $280million from the blockbuster bout.
Meanwhile, McGregor took home a reported $130m from what was his first and only boxing fight.
Since then, McGregor suffered three defeats in his last four UFC bouts. He has also taken some time away from the Octagon after breaking his leg against Dustin Poirier.
McGregor has stated his intentions to return to the boxing ring one day in the future
McGregor has not fought since he broke his leg (above) during his defeat to Dustin Poirier
Nevertheless, McGregor confirmed his desire to return to boxing while attending the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix.
He told Sky Sports: ‘Boxing is my first love in combat sports. I had such a great time the last time I was out there.
‘Obviously, my return will be in the octagon for UFC – that story is far from over, in fact it’s just being written, it is just the beginning. But, boxing, for sure I will grace the squared circle again in the future.’
Meanwhile, Mayweather will return to action this weekend when he faces MMA fighter Asakura in an exhibition bout in Japan.
You can watch Floyd Mayweather in action against Mikuru Asakura live on FITE TV this Saturday, September 24
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article