The first pay-per-view of 2019 for the UFC is upon us, as UFC 234 takes place on from the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia.
The main event finds Anderson Silva and Israel Adesanya doing battle as the future of the UFC looks to defeat his idol and a living legend.
This fight was elevated after Robert Whittaker was forced out of his title fight against Kelvin Gastelum due to a hernia found on the day of the fight.
Join DAZN and watch Bellator 216 plus more than 100 fight nights a year
It’s an unfortunate circumstance but, fortunately, the new main event has received a great deal of attention as Silva vs. Adesanya will likely be jam-packed with fireworks.
It’s an all-time great facing off with a man who could be his heir apparent as Anderson Silva looks to put out the firestorm of hype that comes with Israel Adesanya. Will this be Silva’s last stand or will the Brazilian put the brakes on the astronomical rise of Adesanya?
(All times are Eastern.)
UFC 234 results
7:00 p.m.: Welcome to the UFC 234 Live Blog!
Obviously, we enter into tonight’s fight card a little bummed out because earlier today, middleweight champ Robert Whittaker was forced out of his title fight main event against Kelvin Gastelum and hustled into hernia surgery. It’s a tough blow for “The Reaper,” who missed out on the chance to defend his title at home last year as well, and also a gut-punch for the challenger, as now Gastelum is forced to wait a little longer for his chance to challenge for UFC gold.
While there have been tons of criticisms about the restructured fight card, which is now headlined by a three-round bout between Israel Adesanya and former middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva, the best explanation of why this is still a card worth tuning in for tonight came from reigning featherweight kingpin Max Holloway:
Hopefully people take the Hawaiian’s advice and fans get more than they expected this evening.
UFC 234 fight card
- Israel Adesanya vs. Anderson Silva; Middleweight
- Lando Vannata vs. Marcos Rosa; Lightweight
- Rani Yahya vs. Ricky Simon; Bantamweight
- Montana De La Rosa vs. Nadia Kassem; Women’s Flyweight
- Jim Crute vs. Sam Alvey; Light Heavyweight
- Devonte Smith vs. Dong Hyun Ma; Lightweight
- Shane Young vs. Austin Arnett; Featherweight
- Kai Kara-France vs. Raulian Paiva; Flyweight
- Teruto Ishihara vs. Kyung Ho Kang; Bantamweight
- Callan Potter vs. Jalin Turner; Lightweight
- Wuliji Buren vs. Jonathan Martinez; Bantamweight
UFC 234 latest news
– Anderson Silva is a significant underdog against Israel Adesanya. Sporting News explains that if “The Spider” can’t pull off the upset than it should be time to hang up the gloves.
– Israel Adesanya tells SN that regardless of how much he respects Silva, he plans on knocking him out.
– UFC 234 is a unique card. SN explains why Montana De La Rosa is someone to watch out for on the show.
Source: Read Full Article