Nottingham: He may have been man of the match in Australia's pugnacious win over the West Indies but Australian allrounder Nathan Coulter-Nile admits he could be dropped for Sunday's heavyweight clash against India.
Coulter-Nile, 31, dragged the defending champions back into the contest at Trent Bridge after a bumper barrage from the West Indies' pacemen had left Australia limping at 4-38 in the eighth over.
"I was working really hard on the red-ball sort of stuff, trying to get in and he just said: 'Scrap that, we're not playing red-ball cricket anymore and we just hit balls'. I just tried to hit balls for six. That's all I've been doing for last year."
Coulter-Nile's career has been impacted by back stress fractures – including ruling him out of the 2017-18 Ashes series – but used his time wisely during rehabilitation.
"Last two years stresses (stress fractures), it's all I could really do, bat. I was trying to play red-ball cricket but once I switched to white-ball cricket that's all I really worked on," he said.
Starc said Coulter-Nile's talent had been obvious in the nets.
"He's been hitting the ball really well. Steve Smith actually said his batting has improved out of sight. But for a few of us who have seen him strike the ball, whether it be in the nets or in series at home gone past, he's such a clean striker of the ball, and he hit some fantastic shots," he said.
"And as I said before, without his 92, it would have been a real battle for us with the ball."
Source: Read Full Article